Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) have become full participants in their communities and are no longer relegated to institutional facilities. As a natural result of their increased presence in the community, people with disabilities come into more frequent contact with law enforcement. Law Enforcement Officers need specialized skills to effectively serve people with IDD.
Officers attending this training will be able to:
1. Identify physical and behavioral characteristics of persons with various types of disabilities.
2. More effectively communicate with people who have communication impairments.
3. Restore order to a crisis situation through the use of de-escalation procedures.
4. Identify risks and benefits of various policing tactics with persons with IDD.
5. Carry out responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Please use the registration link to register for this class.